Last updated: Saturday, April 22, 2017
APEC VIETNAM 2017: Events and Opportunities for Vietnam BusinessesPosted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017
In the APEC Vietnam Year 2017 themed “Creating New Dynamism, Fostering a Shared Future”, Vietnam and APEC member economies want to create new momentum for integration, connectivity and economic growth in the Asia-Pacific region.
APEC 2017 focuses on four key priorities: Promoting sustainable, innovative and inclusive growth; fostering regional integration and connectivity; supporting micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in the digital era; enhancing food security and sustainable agriculture and adapting to climate change.
Business cooperation is important in APEC. The Government of Vietnam highly appreciates the involvement of the business community in dialogue with government agencies, strengthens trade and investment cooperation with APEC partners, and considers it a main content of APEC Vietnam Year.
APEC Vietnam 2017 is an important milestone for Vietnam. The successful organising of APEC will elevate Vietnam's prestige in the eyes of international friends. For the Vietnamese business community, this is also a good opportunity to grasp international investment, business and integration trends, thus contributing to improving regional cooperation environment, gaining experience and, particularly, accessing potential trading partners and investors of APEC economies.
The Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI) has been assigned by the Government to host business-related events and activities, including:
Main contents of this forum will focus on discussing the APEC business ecosystem, APEC start-up community development, business start-up in technology-applied and innovative agriculture, start-up education and training, and finance for start-up companies (Credit Guarantee Fund, Venture Capital Fund, Angel Investor and Bank-led Start-up Support Programme, etc.)
2. APEC Women Entrepreneurs Forum, which is scheduled to take place in September in Hue City, is an opportunity to share women’s experiences in doing business. VCCI expects the APEC Women Entrepreneurs Forum will build up a network of women entrepreneurs among APEC economies and promote gender equality in business.
3. APEC Business Advisory Council Meeting 4 (ABAC 4), scheduled to take place in Da Nang City from November 4 to 7, 2017, is expected to attract 250-300 delegates which are ABAC members - leading business leaders in the region. ABAC 4 will ratify annual reports and recommendations of ABAC to be submitted to APEC Economic Leaders’ Summit and prepare contents for the dialogue between APEC economic leaders with ABAC.
Major contents will focus on regional economic integration, trade and investment liberalisation with priority of Vietnam placed on fostering regional connectivity; strengthening APEC connectivity in three aspects: hard connectivity, institutional connectivity, human connectivity; renovating, creating and enhancing corporate competitiveness; upholding corporate social responsibility, and response to global issues. The meeting will discuss an enabling environment for businesses, especially small and medium-sized ones, to engage in global supply chains, have better access to capital sources, new technological achievements and innovation, borderless e-commerce and digital connectivity to ensure sustainable, innovative and inclusive growth.
4. Vietnam Trade and Investment Promotion Forum will be opened in the APEC Economic Leaders’ Week. The forum will be a good opportunity for potential international investors to learn about reform determinations and new economic policies of Vietnam, and a place for local businesses to approach potential international customers.
With the theme “Vietnam - An open business environment with new generation FTAs”, the forum is expected to be organised on November 8, 2017 in Da Nang City and attended by 800 domestic and international participants, including authorities of Vietnam, domestic and international scholars and economists, Vietnamese businesses and foreign investors.
On the sidelines of the forum, the Exhibition on “Vietnam - Destination for worldwide investors” will be opened to introduce investment policies and projects of Vietnamese localities to potential investors.
5. APEC CEO Summit 2017 is set to take place from November 8 to 10, 2017 in Da Nang City. The summit is expected to draw the attendance of 1,000 business leaders from APEC member economies and the world.
In the light of the theme “Creating New Dynamism, Fostering A Shared Future”, the summit will feature speeches and presentations by APEC economic leaders, business leaders and top-notch economists, aimed to enhance cooperation and promote economic cooperation development.
APEC CEO Summit 2017 is the most important event for APEC businesses in general and Vietnam businesses in particular. Attending this year's conference will be leaders from world-leading groups from major economies such as the US, China, Russia, Japan and South Korea. In the framework of the summit, apart from exchange and discussion sessions, a series of business-to-business meetings will also be hosted to seek business and investment opportunities for Vietnamese and international businesses.
6. Dialogue between APEC Economic Leaders and ABAC Members will be held within the framework of the APEC Economic Leaders’ Week in Da Nang City. The dialogue will be attended by leaders from 21 APEC member economies and 63 ABAC members. This will be a chance for ABAC to represent the business community to submit the Annual Report and ABAC recommendations to APEC economic leaders aimed at improving the business environment of the region. This will also be an opportunity for APEC economic leaders to discuss with the business community on measures to promote growth, trade and investment liberalisation.
Business activities in APEC Vietnam 2017 will be direct opportunities for Vietnamese enterprises to raise their voice to regional cooperation, promote their images and products to APEC entrepreneurs, directly approach big APEC corporations and investors, and enhance connectivity to expand trade and investment cooperation. These will also be opportunities for Vietnam to introduce the most updated information about its business environment and potential for trade and investment cooperation to international businesses.